Applies to: Sophos Home
This article lists the known issues spotted in the Sophos Home Premium software, as well as known interactions with third-party software.
Known issues with Sophos Home
- macOS 11 - Big Sur - Network filtering applications such as Little Snitch or VPN software running in tandem with Sophos Home or other software with network filtering capabilities, may trigger errors or not work at all. If you experience issues with Sophos Home or another network based program, we recommend either disabling or removing the other program and re-testing functionality.
Technical details can be found below:
- macOS 11 - Big Sur - Network-based Time Machine backups (such as on a Time Capsule or NAS return "backup is in use" in macOS 11 (Big Sur) -
March 10th 2021 update:
We are currently testing a fix and planning on releasing it at some point during April 2021-check our Release notes for the latest news.
Workaround: use a USB/thunderbolt external drive as a backup , OR perform the backup in Safe Mode.
- SophosPrivacyGuard.bundle stops responding; usually when attempting to restart or shutdown the mac. Workaround: disable mic and webcam protection
- Two Sophos Home Icons may appear - Duplicate Sophos Home shield appears on macOS menu bar
- Turning off RTP and then turning it back on may result in the inability to browse the internet. Current workaround: restart the Mac.
Known issues with 3rd party products
mmhmm application will constantly trigger "camera is active" on macOS due to the application's processes using the camera all the time (even when not in use by a specific application). Please refer to the vendor's documentation for more details:
Maxthon browser displays garbled text on launch. This is related to an incompatibility issue, and the workaround can be found in the "Disabling a specific Protected application to allow the software to run" section of this article.
Sandboxed browsers such as Chrome may get blocked by PrivGuard when launching or opening new links/windows. Workaround: users may create -at their own discretion- a local exclusion for "SbieSvc.exe" Sophos Home - Local exclusions
Scripts compiled to .exe's using AutoIt are flagged by Sophos Home's Machine learning feature.
The workaround is to allow and restore the applications as per: Excluding a file or application from Machine Learning detection.
Users may also ensure exclude an entire folder for where these applications are saved as per: Setting scan exceptions
Sage Accounting software
Updating Sage accounting software is prevented by Sophos Home's Exploit Mitigation feature. The workaround is to temporarily disable Exploit Mitigation in your Sophos Home dashboard to allow the update to complete as outlined in Option 4 in Adding local exclusions/Allowing Installations and/or applications to run.
Known Issues - Games