Applies to: Sophos Home for MacOS
This article explains how to disable Network File scanning, in order to alleviate slowness issues related to Time Machine network backups.
Sophos Home will scan all of your local and network files in real time, to ensure your computer is constantly protected. However, If you notice issues such as slowness, or non-completing backups when backing up your Mac via Time Machine to an external network location, you may want to turn off Network File Sharing options to allow a faster processing time.
If your Mac is protected by Sophos Home, then the files you are backing up from it have already been scanned by Sophos Home on-access scanner locally, thus turning off the Network File Scanning feature will not affect already scanned content.
- Access your Sophos Home Dashboard.
- Click on the desired Mac computer
- Go to PROTECTION --> General, and locate "Network File Scanning"
- Click on the slider to turn the feature OFF
- Restart your Mac and re-try performing a Time Machine network backup.
- Once the backup is completed, feel free to re-enable the feature by clicking on the slider again.