Applies to: Sophos Home Premium and Free (Windows)
You receive a message during installation stating "Sophos Home cannot be installed until your computer is restarted"
This error appears due to a pending reboot flag in the Windows Registry.
Follow the steps below to remove the reboot flag from your registry:
Note: As a precautionary measure, it is highly recommended to create a backup of the Windows system registry before doing the steps below.
- Click on the Start button .
- Type regedit then press Enter. Click Yes if prompted to allow the application to make changes to the computer.
- Browse to the following:
- 32-bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Sophos\AutoUpdate\UpdateStatus\VolatileFlags
- 64-bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Sophos\AutoUpdate\UpdateStatus\VolatileFlags
- Double-click on the entry RebootRequired and change the value to 0.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Session Manager.
- Rename the entry PendingFileRenameOperations to OldPendingFileRenameOperations.
- Clear the contents of the %windir%\Temp folder (This is typically C:\Windows\temp)
- Uninstall then reinstall Sophos Home and restart afterward.